Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ragnar Relay 2008



Wickenburg to Mesa. 182 miles.
Thats what I decided to do this weekend. Last year, my friend in my ward, Jen Barbier, asked if I would be interested in doing the Ragnar Relay. Her friend in the Power Ranch ward, Jill Woolf, heads it up. Of course I said yes. Then they needed some more runners, since they are doing two teams this year. Which means at night you are not running alone and you have a partner. Amy is always up for crazy stuff like this. So we did it together. We met at Williams Gateway to rent 4 15 passenger vans for our two teams of 12. It took us a little longer then expected. After renting the vans, we were on our way to Wickenburg. As we were pulling up to register, we see our heat of runners starting. Our runner one, Jen and Lisa still had to register. So, we started about 9 minutes after everyone else (tip for next year: leave earlier.) It was so BLAZING hot. Our 2nd runner was Karen Hatch and her SIL Kris. They are amazing. They did great! Runner 3 was Amy and Lois. Lois and my partner Rachel live in Las Sendas and train together. They run hills every run, so it didn't seem to phase them. By the time they ran it was 2pm and SO HOT. But, they did great. Runner 4 was Me and Rachel. Now it is 3pm. I really struggled with the heat and the hills. (The treadmill incline DID NOT cut it for training!) But I didn't stop. Amy said my face was SO RED coming in. Runner 5 was Nicole and Rachel B (Daddy long legs). (Nicole worked with Hils at Hair Do.) They did so good too. Runner 6 was Kim and Kamma. They had a REALLY hard run uphill to Lake Pleasant. It's around 530 when our vans were done. Now the other 2 vans that have runners 6-12 go. And we hung out at Lake Pleasant for a little while. We took showers (YEA, i got a warm one....sorry Amy), listened to a sweet band, bought some shorts (because of the unexpected extreme heat), and celebrated Jens bday. Since it's aroung 630 and we havent eaten real food since we met at 9am we headed out for dinner. We decided to go get Subway real quick and head to our next spot to rest till we start again around 11pm. We had about an hour and a half till our first runner would run. So we all made a spot to lay down in the van. After an hour of silence, we realized only Nicole fell asleep. We couldn't sleep before we did our late night run. So Jen and Lisa strapped on the construction worker vest and ran. The night runs were by far our best and funnest runs. After our night runs Amy and I were on a run high and had a lot of run yelling and encouraging the other runners still going. We then went to our next exchange and slept for less then 2 hours. Then started the whole thing over again for our last run. Mine was by Saguaro Lake, uphill for 4.3 miles. But nothing could compare to Amy's last run. I didn't get to see it...but everyone said it was horrible. She's Amazing! After our run we returned the van and headed home.
DO IT AGAIN? FOR SURE!!


The W.H.O.R.s (Women High On Running)

Me and my partner






Amy posing our new shorts purchase

Amys toe injury




Crazy people sleeping on the lawn

Karens Before

After

The Funnest Van!

8 comments:

hoopes03 said...

Wow!! Linds I'm impressed! Were you so tired after?!?!?! I think the next thing you should do is the "Iron Women". :) I would like to see pics of that.

summer k said...

Linds I don't know how you and amy do it, you guys are great! Maybe one day I can do a 2 mile fun run!

Amy said...

You know that was a blast. We will for sure do it again. Yeah to my red indian friend.

The Foster Family said...

I really don't think we are related, just thinking of it makes me have a stomach ache and I can't breathe and my legs are aching and my heart hurts... oh wait, You are amazing and maybe someday I will run 3 miles without stopping??!!

the cummard family said...

i'll be there in '09! it looks like so much fun. good job!

steph j. said...

can i be you?

amberbuck said...

Holy crap girl! That sounds like the craziest run I've heard of but I'm sure you made some great memories! You go girl.

Becky said...

That looks so fun, but tiring!! I admire you.